BYOD @ CDS
BYOD (Bring Your Own Device) Technology @ CDS
As part of Carrollwood Day School's ongoing efforts to provide all the tools necessary to prepare our students for excelling in the 21st century, all students in grades 4-12 participate in a BYOD program. This initiative is not new at CDS, we have had a 1:1 device program since 2007.
Apple products inspire creativity and hands-on learning with features you won’t find anywhere else. And they are easy to integrate into the curriculum. Apple products offer easy-to-learn tools that encourage students to collaborate and communicate their best thinking in compelling new ways. Apple devices paired with passionate and well-supported teachers enables deeper creativity and learning.
Which BYOD (Bring Your Own Device) device do I need?
- Students in grades 4 - 5 are required to have an Apple iPad. See Below for Specifications.
- Students in grades 6 - 12 are required to have a Apple MacBook laptop. See Below for Specifications.
- It is the responsibility of the student's family to purchase and install the required applications on the student device.
BYOD Device Requirements
Carrollwood Day School has determined the following recommended specifications for the required iPads:
- Apple iPad versions: Apple iPad Air 2 or Newer
- At least 64GB of storage
Note: Any Apple iPad generations not listed above are not suitable for the classroom-learning environment at CDS.
- MacBook Laptops
Carrollwood Day School has determined the following minimum specifications for the required Macbook:
- Apple MacBook versions: MacBook, Macbook Pro, MacBook Air
- MacOS 10.13: High Sierra or Higher
- Minimum of 8 GB RAM
Apple Device Warranty
We highly recommend the AppleCare Protection Plan for your newly purchased Apple device. This will need to be purchased directly from Apple. If you would like help selecting a device that meets these requirements, please visit your local Apple store or www.apple.com.
BYOD Device Purchasing
Carrollwood Day School does not sell devices directly to families. Parents are encouraged to visit the Apple store or other local retailers to “test drive” a MacBook or iPad before purchasing. This will give your child a hands-on experience to see which model works best for them. MacBooks and iPads can also be ordered online at http://store.apple.com/us.
BYOD Device Ownership
Student devices are the property and responsibility of the student and his/her family. Insurance (against damage, theft or other loss) and a protective case are strongly recommended. Carrollwood Day School is not responsible for lost, broken or stolen devices.
BYOD Technical Support
Students agree to ensure their device has the latest approved operating system for the device and that their required learning apps are installed and always updated. BYOD students understand that CDS Technology Department will only provide technical support for WIFI connectivity and core learning apps on student devices. The CDS Technology Department will not provide loaner devices or chargers to students.
- What is expected of the School?
- Provide students a reliable Wi-Fi connection
- Provide students an Internet content filtering system
- Provide a blended educational environment
- Model safe device and internet practices
- What is expected of the Parent(s)?
- Provide your student a device that meets the minimum BYOD specifications
- Purchase and install the required applications for your student
- Provide appropriate student device insurance and warranty
- What is expected of the Student?
- Bring your device fully charged to school each day
- Maintenance of student device and student applications
- Show respect for other devices, work and privacy
- Access technology as a responsible user
- Abide by the expectations and rules stated in the CDS Responsible Use Policy (RUP)